Technical internships at ChEMBL.
We are looking for skilled Computer Science (and related fields) students with strong programming skills to join our team for 3-6 month internships. This is not necessarily a summer internship program, you can start whenever convenient for you after being accepted. Please take a look at some of the research ideas / candidate profiles below:
1. Java programmer - we are looking for a person with experience in Java to develop a prototype of new KNIME nodes for interacting with the ChEMBL API. Experience with REST and/or KNIME is a plus but not a requirement - you can learn it during your internship. A very important thing to note that you should be excited about UX and creating user-friendly and pragmatic GUIs.
2. C++ programmer - we would like to invite a person passionate about C++ and pattern recognition / image processing to experiment with optimising the open-source OSRA code. OSRA is like OCR but for molecules. We want to make it faster and more accurate.
3. C++ programmer with a graph theory knowledge. Chemical compounds are represented as graphs in-silico. We want to be able to quickly generate random graphs that would also be valid compounds. Experience with distributed computing, computing grids, network file systems and map-reduce is a plus but not required.
- Creating prototypes of reusable chemical web widgets using polymer.
- Using emscripten to cross compile some core chemical software written in C++ to JS.
5. A person with a data visualisation skills to explore Kibana and Kibi tools to create beautiful and informative datavis widgets from ChEMBL data.
6. Someone with the Natural Language Processing background to:
- Create a dictionary of common spelling mistakes in chemistry patents.
- Create a network of patent relations using textrank algorithm.
- Explore different approaches to the Named Entity Classification problem.
How to apply?
Just send your CV to kholmes @ ebi.ac.uk with 'ChEMBL Tech Internships' subject.
When to apply?
You can apply anytime but we will only contact selected candidates.
Will all those internships start at the same time?
No, in fact we are planning to select max. 2 most interesting candidates at a given time.
Will I get paid?
The internship is paid 800 GBP per month OR funded by your alma mater (whatever is better for you).